Jared Kirby has been involved in Western Martial Arts and Combat for Stage & Screen for over fifteen years. He has trained across the US and Europe with some of the finest instructors in these Arts.
He currently teaches fencing at SUNY Purchase and is a certified instructor through the Martinez Academy of Arms. Jared also has an ongoing Combat for Stage & Screen class in New York City.
He teaches a variety of workshops across the US and around the world including Canada, England, Scotland, Finland and Italy. He has taught at the Paddy Crean International Art of the Sword Workshop, the International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention (ISMAC), Rapier Camp and the Western Washington WMA Workshop just to name a few.
Jared is the editor and one of the translators of “Italian Rapier Combat”, the first complete, professional translation of Capo Ferro. He is also the editor and wrote the introduction for “The School of Fencing” by Domenico Angelo and annotated by Maestro Jeannette Acosta-Martínez. For more information, see Martinez Academy of Arms or Amazon.com.
He is the co-coordinator of the International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention in Detroit, MI. This workshop, created in 2000, brings together the finest instructors from around the world for one of the largest annual Western Martial Arts workshops. He is also the president of Combat Con. Jared is also a member of the Association for Historical Fencing.
- Learn the skills needed to perform extraordinary fights in ongoing classes which offer individualized training. Want a "crash course" instead? Enroll in a one to six week intensive course. Click above for details.
Training & Seminars
- Get the training you need. Whether it's a knife fight for an upcoming film or swordwork for a Shakespeare production, we can get you ready! Jared offers training in unarmed, knife, longsword, sword & shield, axe, rapier, small-sword, sabre, short-sword, quarterstaff, spear, improvised weapons and much more.
- For details on private instruction or weekend seminars click above.
In the Press
- Recently mentioned in the New York Times: "an expert in the Spanish and Italian rapiers, [Jared] works as a film and theater consultant, training actors and arranging dueling scenes." Read the full article and other press by clicking above.
Stage & Screen Fights
- Fights that excite an audience, define a character
and move a plot. Incorporate realistic violence into
your film, TV or stage production!